2013 and 2014 GOLDEN HEART® Finalist

Sunday, June 1, 2014

My Turn on the Writing Process Blog Tour


I'm so excited to be "it" this week on the Writing Process Blog Tour that's been sweeping the blogosphere. The amazingly talented and Golden-Heart-WINNING Darcy Woods tagged me. Her  YA contemporary SUMMER OF SUPERNOVA won the YA Golden Heart last year, and I had the privilege of reading it (you SO have to buy this book when it's released into the wild!) Check out Darcy's fun and fabulous plotter-pantser (plantser?) writing process here.

And now I tackle the 4 questions:

1. What am I currently working on? What am I not working on right now? :) That's how it feels anyway. While my delightful agent prepares to shop my Golden Heart finalist YA romantic mystery FOUR BULLETS to publishers, I'm knee deep and crazy-busy preparing for the release of the first book in my New Adult contemporary series, CHANNEL 20SOMETHING on August 12. It will be published under my pen name Amy Patrick. I'm just finishing Book 3 and beginning Book 4 and loving it! Book 1 features a group of friends just out of college working in their first jobs in TV news. It takes place in and around a small-market TV station in the Deep South, where what happens behind the scenes is the real story.


2. How does my work differ from others of its genre? New Adult romance is still a developing category of the romance genre-- one thing that makes it so exciting. Many of the books currently on the market feature characters who are in college, living away from home for the first time. I'm thrilled that NA readers are clamoring for variety, because my series features characters who are just beyond that point, dealing with first jobs, first apartments, striving for real independence from parents and home, and negotiating romantic relationships that actually have a chance of lasting. Which is wonderful but can be scary, too.

As far as my YA mystery-- I think it's the premise that sets it apart and caught the eye of agents-- Lauren's mother is prosecuting the biggest murder trial of her career, and Lauren's lifelong crush Bowie has finally noticed she's alive. Too bad it's for the wrong reasons-- his mother is the defendant. When Bowie uses drastic tactics to persuade Lauren to help him prove his mom's innocence, she knows the risks she's taking could finally win her his heart. But she could end up losing much more in the process.


3. Why do I write what I write? I absolutely love reading and writing YA and NA, because it's an amazing stage of life filled with excitement, romance, and decisions that can have lifelong consequences. You never quite get over what (and who) happens during these years. That's what I want to capture.

4. How does my individual writing process work? I pantsed my way through my first book and then took about a YEAR revising and re-writing it. Painfully. Then I read several writing craft books and soaked up some conference workshops... and became a plotter. Now I create a very detailed scene-by-scene outline before I begin actually writing my books. It's much faster, and for me, much more fun. I love to know where I'm going before I begin. Not that I have to stick to the road map. Sometimes a new path becomes the obvious course as I'm writing. The pre-planned map gives me the courage to get started-- I get adventurous and explore side roads along the way. When I'm powering through a fast first draft, I go to the most boring corner of my local library's reference section, settle into a chair facing a wall, and get to work. Every day. Messy first draft done, I do several more drafts before sending my ms to my wonderful critique partners, and after implementing their brilliant suggestions, on to my editor. Everyone has their own methods, but this is working for me so far. It's enabled me to write three books so far this year, with more to come!

I'm also having a great time narrating audio books for other authors. I've been a voiceover artist for the past 13 years doing radio and TV ads and corporate voiceover work. When I got the chance to combine that experience with my first love-- books-- I jumped at it. What's better than working in your PJ's? Not much!

Next week you're in for a tasty triple-dip of writing process goodness. I'm tagging two of my talented fellow Golden Heart 2014 YA finalists (go Dreamweavers!) and one of my Lucky 13 GH sisters (go Luckies!)-- who's another Golden Heart winner. I can't wait to hear about how they create their own romance-ish literary stylings. Let's meet them now...


Vanessa Barneveld lives in Australia. She has one husband, two cats, and three Golden Heart nominations in the YA category. When she’s not writing, devouring chocolate or studying for her master’s degree, Vanessa works in TV as a closed captioner for the deaf and audio describer for the blind. THIS IS YOUR AFTERLIFE, her 2014 GH book about a ghost who won't give up till he finds out who killed him, recently sold to Bloomsbury Publishing. Find Vanessa at her website. Or hanging out on Twitter and her Facebook page.

 

 
Jessica Ruddick is a 2014 Golden Heart finalist for her new adult novel, Letting Go, which was inspired by her own college experiences. She is married to her college sweetheart—their first date was a fraternity toga party (nothing inspires love like a toga, right?). These days she is a high school English teacher by day and young adult and new adult writer by night, lunch break, soccer practice, basically whenever she can squeeze in a minute to write. She is counting down the days until summer, which she’ll spend wrangling her two rambunctious sons. You can find her blogging at her website and connect with her on Twitter.
 
 
 
 
AE Jones writes paranormal romance and urban fantasies. Her 2013 Golden Heart winner, MIND SWEEPER (the first in a new series) will be released in early fall. Find her at her website and on Twitter

24 comments:

  1. Amy, your site looks *fabulous*! I love a good YA mystery. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for FOUR BULLETS. I just have to read it -- here's to a quick sale by your new agent so I can do just that.

    I'm in awe of you for writing three entire books this year so far. That's amazing. Apart from that, our writing processes are very similar, but I guess you'll find out more next week - hehehe! Thanks very much for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vanessa! I can't wait to read about the process that led to your exciting SALE!!! We should all take notes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree--your website is amazing! I'm so excited to witness your NA publishing journey. Your series sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your writing process, Amy! I second Vanessa -- that is absolutely amazing you were able to write 3 books so far this year! How do you do it?! You'll have to spill your secrets. I cannot wait to read your NA series! And best of luck with the YA! Fingers crossed you'll be debuting in two different genres in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jessica! I'm looking forward to your post next week when you share all your writerly secrets! :)

    And Pintip-- you should talk! I have to write fast to catch up with you, Miss Prolific. Wouldn't debuting in two different genres be fun? We can hope. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow - you have a lot going on!! (You need a spreadsheet to keep up with everything!)
    I also started as a pantster? pantser? But plotting has really helped get the conflict into my books. Because I wrote to much everyday scene - lovely -- but boring.
    So happy to watch you on this ride. Cant's wait to buy debut novel!!


    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you volunteering, Nan? Because I couldn't make a spreadsheet to save my life. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love reading about process--maybe because mine is still a work in progress. Obviously, holing up in the library with a detailed plot is working for you. Three drafts in a year is amazing! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Julie-- I'm that pathetic-- think squirrel-brain. I must give myself absolutely nothing else to look at or I get nothing done. Thank you for popping in- so nice to see you here!

      Delete
  9. Amy -
    Your site is splendiforous and you are a very busy girl. I am so happy you gave me a 'sneek peak' of your New Adult series, Channel 20 Something. It is a winner!
    And I am in awe - 3 book ALREADY this year! I am so not worthy...
    AE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, I LOVE reading about our shared journey from pantsers to plotters (although I have only made it to plantser-land!). Thanks for giving me a term that defines my process, LOL!

    Best wishes for your future and authorial success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plantser Land may be exactly where you belong! That's one thing I've learned from these blog tag posts-- we're all different, and it's working for us. Congratulations on your exciting book release! Thank you for taking time to stop by on this very busy day for you. :)

      Delete
  11. Can't wait to read yours, Miss AE! Your process AND your book series. Tag- you're it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post, Amy. And the blog looks great. Wishing you much success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! It's so nice to see you here. I appreciate that you took time to stop by!

      Delete
  13. Love the Romance - ish, Amy. :-) I panstered my way through the first five books I wrote, but soon I'll start on number six and I'm going to experiment with trying to do some prior plotting. We'll see.

    Looking forward to reading CHANNEL 20SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet friend for stopping by! You must be doing something right, you book-selling, award-winning phenom. I think it makes things easier, because it cuts down on major revisions, but it might be just me. Congrats on your award today!

      Delete
  14. Oh what a fun post, Amy!! :) It's always so much fun reading about other people's processes.

    I can't wait to read your books. (And meet you in San Antonio!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by- I've loved reading the posts by other authors, too! Looking forward to The SA party #DauntlessDreamweaversrule

      Delete
  15. Process is fun! Thanks for letting us in on all you do!! Including your awesome website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piper! Great to see you here. You KNOW my web designer is crazy-talented and loves to be admired. ;) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  16. Three books written so far this year? Wow! You are one fast writer, Amy. Your books sound amazing. Love the plot of your YA mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Jacqui! Thanks for stopping by. I think I should have worded it "three books in the past year so far"-- I've written TWO of them in 2014, but no, I'm not that fast either. It also helps tremendously to be writing full time. SOME people are amazing enough to hold down an outside job and still manage to write. ;) Thank you so much for dropping by. I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post, Amy! I look forward to reading your NA in August. :)

    ReplyDelete