2013 and 2014 GOLDEN HEART® Finalist

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Welcome!

Welcome!  I'm so glad you're here.  I've been writing for a long time, but only decided to pursue publishing in the past couple of years.  I started off embarrassingly ignorant of the process, but thanks to some generous and informative authors' and agents' blogs, I've learned so much, and I feel confident now that I at least know how to begin to make a go of it.

Because I've been helped so much, I've been thinking of what I might be able to offer to other writers.

Before I "retired" from my career to raise two little boys and write fiction full-time, I spent thirteen years as a news anchor and reporter, moving from one side of the country to the other and back again, climbing the television market ladder.  I did the news in Mississippi, Tennessee, California, and Rhode Island.

So, I've spent years on "the other side", interviewing countless people, including many authors, fielding requests for interviews, and I have an insider's understanding of how the media works.

I thought it might be helpful to share some tips on dealing with the media, gaining publicity for your novel (or other promotable projects), and advice on preparing for media appearances and what to expect when you get there. I'll do that every Monday.

When it comes to becoming a published fiction writer, I still have a lot to learn, so I'm constantly reading and soaking up information about the craft of writing and the publishing business.  On Wednesdays, I'll feature a Writing Roundup of some of the best articles I've found for writers during the week.

I still do lots of freelance on-camera work and voiceovers for radio and tv ads, and one of my regular gigs is a weekly webcast that goes out to thousands of viewers in the promotional products industry.
If you'd like to check it out, it's called The Industry Show, and you can see it here: www.Promocorner.com.

In case you're not quite sure what promotional products are ... think pens, notebooks, magnets, calendars, and millions of other products that have a company name, logo, or message on them. 
Studies show they have a more lasting impact than other forms of advertising and their relative cost is very low.
As an author, you are expected to promote yourself and your brand.  You're your own little company, and promotional products could help you get your name out there and keep your books on the minds of readers.  I don't make any products and I don't sell them, but I spend lots of time researching the hottest new promotional products in a different category each week for my job on The Industry Show.  Each Friday, I'll share with you a cool new product I've found that could be useful to you as an author, bookseller, or publishing industry titan, whichever you may be.

So, that's my grand plan as I begin my blog, and I'm sure it will evolve over time. Thank you so much for stopping by and I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment